Wednesday 8 February 2012

Poppy's first long run

Well, yesterday, I took Poppy from Reading up to Banbury for work. I was secretly dreading the drive up as I thought her fuel economy would be sod all but, actually, she did very well and we got 260km out of half a tank. As it only took me 25 litres to fill her up from "almost empty", suggesting that her gauge is screwed, that's damn good really. Anyway, she drove like a dream, purring happily up the A34.

I took her to Abingdon today, with work again, and thoroughly enjoyed the drive. Admittedly, it was soured somewhat by the exceptional road rage incident I encountered while passing a lorry up a hill, again on the A34 - I'm not entirely sure where the bloke behind me expected me to go when he spent a few hundred metres tailgating me and beeping his horn. Idiot. She was, however, suitably admired at the Abingdon office - glad my colleagues have taste ;-)

I forgot, too - I need to change the horn for a less pathetic one (the current is definitely not in keeping with the rest of the car's image) and I'd like to get a more practical ashtray replacement. All the current one is good for is my PG tips monkey living in it.

Anyone want to buy a Mk1 ashtray?!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad that the fuel economy is working out. I was a little worried to start with, but I think that she'll get better as a) you learn to drive her efficiently and b) she gets some longer trips under her belt. We'll look at a service once the weather gets a little warmer: oil change, plugs change and check that air filter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as worried as me, my love! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Page Views